Joomla is evolving to improve existing features and introduce new features.
Here, UsingJoomla.com wants to explain a little about a new feature of Joomla since Joomla version 3.9
Sometimes you may have more than one person who is looking after your Joomla website - maybe another Administrator, an Author, or a Manager.
These multiple people can be "doing things" - updating an extension, uninstalling an extension, installing an extension, writing or editing an Article - the list could go on.
Or, maybe there is one person - yourself - doing all of these things.
Over time you may want to know who did what and when.
Now, since Joomla version 3.9 there is a new feature - "User Actions - Logs".
The User Actions Component provides an audit log of User Actions.
Extensions are able to link into this User Actions system.
There are a number of Plugins associated with the User Actions feature:
- System - User Actions Log - When enabled, you can set within this plugin how many days to store logs for - for example logs for the last 5 days
- Action Log - to record the actions of users for core extensions, this needs to be enabled
- Privacy - Actions Log - when enabled, this combines with the new Joomla in-built feature of Privacy agreement. This Plugin allows the export of User Action Logs for a user's data request
User Actions Log Module - This is an Administrator Module - which can be set up and displayed in your site's Administrator area - when you log-in to the Administrator area of your website you can see at a glance the latest actions that have been carried out on your website.
Within the Component you can choose which events to log from a provided list:
- Configuration Manager
- Modules Manager
- News Feeds
You can also choose whether or not to log the IP address used at the time of the event.
When viewing the log containing the User Actions there are a number of tasks you can undertake:
- Purge all of the actions
- Export the selected actions in CSV (Comma Separated Variable) format
- Export the whole log in CSV format
- Delete the selected action(s)
If you are a Super User you can also set to receive email notifications of User Event Log events - this is set up through your own (Super User) profile.
This core Joomla Component is still quite new, at the time of writing this article - Joomla extension developers are currently in the process linking their own components into this core Joomla component.
User Actions Log (Help source 1)
User Actions Log (Help source 2)
User Actions Log - Options