Although using Joomla!® requires some basic skills, Joomla can be used by anyone regardless of age or background.
While a basic knowledge of the skills listed here will be very beneficial, do not worry or stress too much if you feel a little lacking.
Practice make perfect.
The skill level that you reach is determined only by your own desire and motivation to learn.
To fully utilise your Joomla development experience you should be able to do (or improve on) the following (in no particular order):
- Navigate the world wide web (to most of us that is: the internet);
- Create folders and sub-folders on your computer or laptop;
- Download files;
- Save downloaded files onto your computer, or laptop;
- Find those downloaded files !
- Move (copy / paste) those files into one or more of the folders you created;
- If those folders / files are compressed ("zipped") - be able to extract (Unzip / decompress) them;
- Use a text editor;
- Use an ftp program (ftp: file transfer protocol); I recommend: CuteFTP;
- Upload files / folders via the internet from your computer or laptop;
Again - do not worry if you are a little lacking - take your time, one step at a time - learn how to do these things first and foremost - speed and confidence will come later.
While there are many, many, good resources available on the internet helping you to learn and find answers to your questions, sometimes it can be very useful to have a book or two to hand so that you can have a ready-to-hand guide and reference.
On that basis, we have included on this page a list of some books available that cover some topics such as Joomla, and some of the underlying programing languages used and that may be useful to you - particularly topics like CSS (Custom Style Sheets) and HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) - which apart from Joomla itself - will more than likely be of benefit to learning at least some basics of.